9.24.2007

Former Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan speaks extensively to Maria Bartiromo - CNBC News Releases - CNBC.com

Former Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan speaks extensively to Maria Bartiromo - CNBC News Releases - CNBC.com: "MARIA BARTIROMO:
Four presidents you served under. You counseled five. Who was your favorite?

ALAN GREENSPAN:
Gerald Ford.

MARIA BARTIROMO:
Why?

ALAN GREENSPAN:
Unlike any public figure I had ever met, this man had character. I mean his word was-- absolute. He was not hung up with all sorts of neuroses, which are so prevalent in government. And he was a very decent man. In fact, there was one episode which sort of characterizes it.

I came into him-- once and was-- was sitting in the Oval Office, and I was explaining a certain policy which I thought ought to be implemented. He said, "That's very interesting. I think we're gonna try to do that." Two weeks later he calls me back, and he said, "Come down." So, I went over to the Oval Office. And he said-- "I'm having political trouble getting this particular initiative through. I want you to know that I've tried, but I've not been able to do it."

And I said to him, "Mr. President, you're president of the United States. I'm an aide. You don't have to apologize to me." It's extraordinary what it is to work for a man like that. And what's fascinating is there is-- for years and years there was an annual reunion of people who formerly worked in the Ford administration.

And that-- the number of people who showed up increased every year. And I say, now wait a second. How are there now more people-- every year who worked in the Ford administration? And the reason is the affection for that man personally was just unending.

"